Sewer Rehabilitation Project - Soapstone Valley Park
DC Water is performing sewer rehabilitation projects throughout the city as part of its Capital Improvement Program (CIP). The proposed Soapstone Valley Park Sewer Rehabilitation project would involve the rehabilitation of sewers from Albemarle Street, NW to Broad Branch Road, NW. Benefits of this project would include the rehabilitation of an aging sewer system, improved structural integrity while maintaining adequate hydraulic capacity, and the reduction of stream and groundwater infiltration and potential sanitary sewer overflows.
Proposed Scope of Work
- Approximately 6,200 linear feet of defective sanitary sewer pipe would be addressed
- Twenty-two defective manholes would be addressed
- Asset protection would be completed
- One Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) outlet would be repaired and a second MS4 would be extended
- Draft NEPA document & Statement of Findings (SOF) Submitted to National Park Service (NPS), 2015
- Revised Draft NEPA document submitted to NPS, August 2016
- Revised Draft SOF submitted to NPS, June 2018
- Revised Draft NEPA document will be submitted to NPS following SOF approval
- SOF was approved, June 2018
- DC Water reviewed Draft NEPA document, November 2018
- DC Water provided Draft NEPA document to NPS for review and comment, November 2018
- NPS provided review comments for the Draft NEPA document to DC Water, February 2019
- DC Water updated the Draft NEPA document and resubmitted it to NPS, April 2019
- NPS signed the Finding No Significant Impact (FONSI) and a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in April 2020
- NPS has completed an Environmental Assessment (EA) and approved DC Water's proposed Soapstone Valley Park Sewer Rehabilitation Project, May 2020
- Construction Start: Winter 2021 - 2022
- Construction Completion: Winter 2023 - 2024
- DC Water is finalizing the design, developing a procurement strategy for construction, and obtaining remaining permits.
- The FONSI and EA are available online here or at https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectID=47855.
DC Water assessed creek bed sewers in Soapstone Valley in 2010 and 2011. The Report capturing the assessment results has been referred in the preparation of the NEPA document. See the report below for easy reference.
Soapstone Valley Creek Bed Sewer Assessment March 15, 2011