Customer Assistance Programs
DC Water is committed to working with our customers in financial times of need. We offer a variety of financial assistance programs, resources, and extension payment options to assist eligible residential customers and non-profit organizations.
Income-Based Financial Assistance:
The CRIAC Residential Relief Program consists of three levels of relief:
Customer Assistance Program (CAP) provides eligible DC Water customers a discount on the first 400 cubic feet (3,000 gallons) of water and sewer services used each month. Eligible households will receive an additional fifty percent (50%) reduction in the monthly CRIAC and a Water Service Replacement Fee waiver. The annual discount is approximately $760.
Customer Assistance Program II (CAP2) provides eligible DC Water customers a discount on the first 300 cubic feet (2,250 gallons) of water and sewer services used each month (with the exception of PILOT and ROW fees) and 50% reduction in the monthly CRIAC. The annual discount is approximately $520.
Customer Assistance Program III (CAP3) provides eligible DC Water customers with a discount of 75% off of the monthly CRIAC. The average annual discount is approximately $210.
The table below provides the dollar figures for each program’s income limits by household size:
* DOEE determines eligibility on the basis of federal low-income guidelines. All residential applicants must provide:
- Most recent tax return
- Photo identification
- Current utility bill
For more information, and to apply, please visit CRIAC Residental Relief Application or call 311.
The CRIAC Nonprofit Relief Program is in place to assist eligible nonprofit organizations facing financial hardship with the payment of their Clean Rivers Impervious Area Charge (CRIAC). Participants can receive credits of up to 90% of the CRIAC portion of their water bill.
DOEE determines eligibility, and non-profit organizations must meet all three criteria:
- Be a nonprofit in the District of Columbia with a real property or possessory interest tax exemption as a local charitable organization, a cemetery, a religious house-of worship; or a continuing care facility (as determined by the District’s Office of Tax and Revenue).
- Demonstrate financial hardship in paying the CRIAC. Organizations must demonstrate that their annual CRIAC is 1% or greater than their annual revenue, after expenses. Applicants must submit their IRS form 990 or provide information consistent with the filing requirements of an IRS form 990, as applicable.
- Complete a stormwater mitigation project to help diminish the harmful effects of stormwater runoff by installing green infrastructure on their property or elsewhere in the District.
For more information, and to apply, please visit CRIAC Nonprofit Relief Application or call 311
Other Bill Assistance Programs and Resources
- Extended Payment Plans - Please call 202-354-3600 to speak with a Customer Care Associate for more details about extended payment plan options.
- SPLASH (Serving People by Lending A Supporting Hand) - SPLASH is a DC Water program that helps customers maintain critical water and sewer service in times of financial emergencies. SPLASH is funded solely by contributions from our employees, customers, and the community, and every dollar we receive is distributed to eligible customers. Visit our SPLASH online contribution form to make a donation.
To find out more information about payment assistance options, please call 202-354-3600 to speak with a Customer Care Associate.