Private-side Partial Lead Replacements
Lead Pipe Replacement Assistance Program (LPRAP)
If only the private portion of service pipe is lead (and the public portion is non-lead), the District will pay for free or discounted replacements.
Do I qualify for assistance?
Every property owner can receive a 50% discount, regardless of income. Some residents will qualify for 80% or 100% coverage depending on household size and income.
- Contact a DC-licensed contractor or plumber and to obtain a Cost Proposal as part of the application process.
Applicants can use the database from the DC Board of Industrial Trades to look up businesses by license type (e.g. Plumber Master).
- Contractor must provide completed Cost Proposal form to homeowner with proper documentation. This includes:
- proposed construction methods
- detailed price quote for the work
- length of pipe to be replaced
- pipe material to be installed
- documentation of any special conditions
- permit fee estimates
- photos for visual identification of pipe
Fill out the application online or print and send by mail. Applications will be considered in the order they are received. Applications must include:
- Income verification documents
- Photo(s) of water service pipe at point-of-entry (with shut-off valve and pipe breaking through wall, if visible)
- Completed Cost Proposal (i.e. quote for work)