We are now accepting applications for the Summer 2023 Internship Program.
Please apply by Feb. 24, 2023.
Click here to apply.
Here at DC Water, we consider it part of our public service mission to support and encourage the educational goals of the next generation. Our Summer Internship Program is designed to expose undergraduate and graduate students to a wide range of career opportunities in the public sector and provide them with valuable professional skills that can be transferred to any occupation or industry.
Summer Internship Program:
Our summer program is 12 weeks long and includes paid work at DC Water and the opportunity to explore jobs that are in keeping with the participant's area of study. Participants will work 40 hours per week from May 22 to August 11, 2023. In addition to being exposed to jobs related to the student's course of study, interns receive professional development training on relevant topics. The summer program also includes field trips designed to help students better understand the work that is done at DC Water, and the impact that work has on Washington DC and the surrounding area.
Here's the fine print: No lodging, meals, transportation, parking subsidy or other assistance will be provided.
Students who meet the following requirements are eligible to apply for the DC Water Summer Internship program:
- Currently enrolled full time at an accredited college or university.
- Undergraduate and Graduate students welcome to apply.
- Have at least 30 credit hours completed at the time of application.
- Have at least a 3.0-grade point average.
- Provide proof of legal right to work in the United States.
- International Students are welcome to apply. However, proof of eligibility to work must be submitted.
- Women, minorities, and DC residents are strongly encouraged to apply.
A completed application packet must include the following:
- Online Application
- Unofficial transcript
- Letter of recommendation (see below)
- Essay (see essay requirements below)
*Be sure to have all documents and information available at time of application
Complete the essay within the online application answering the following questions:
- Why are you interested in interning at DC Water?
- How would an internship at DC Water support your future aspirations?
- What knowledge, skills and talents do you believe you can contribute to DC Water if selected for an internship?
- An official letter of recommendation--(Letters can come from your academic advisor, a professor, or program dean. Letters can be mailed in a sealed envelope on letterhead with the recommender's signature or a scanned copy directly emailed from the recommender to InternProgram@dcwater.com)
- Student's official college transcript-- (Upon acceptance of offer, you must have your official transcript mailed in a sealed envelope from your college or university or an official electronic version from the registrar’s office no later than two weeks from accepting the offer.)
Special note: All documents listed above are required to be considered for an internship opportunity.
Please submit mailed documents to:
Attn: People and Talent
RE: Internship Program
1385 Canal St SE
Washington, DC 20003
In an effort to provide a healthy, safe and well work environment for all employees, effective February 25, 2022, all DC Water employees must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Employees with approved medical or religious exemptions will be permitted to submit negative covid test results weekly.
For additional information contact:
Phone: (202) 787-2401