Here at DC Water, we consider it part of our public service mission to support and encourage the educational goals of the next generation. Our Internship Program is designed to expose undergraduate and graduate students to a wide range of career opportunities in the public sector and provide them with valuable professional skills that can be transferred to any occupation or industry.
We offer both summer and year-round internships.
Summer Internship Program:
Our summer program is 10 weeks long and includes paid work at DC Water and the opportunity to explore jobs that are in keeping with the participant's area of study. Participants will work 40 hours per week from May to August only. In addition to being exposed to jobs related to the student's course of study, interns receive professional development training on relevant topics. The summer program also includes field trips designed to help students better understand the work that is done at DC Water, and the impact that work has on Washington DC and the surrounding area.
Here's the fine print: No lodging, meals, transportation or other assistance will be provided.
Students who meet the following requirements are eligible to apply for the DC Water internship program:
- Currently enrolled full time at an accredited college or university
- Have completed at least the first semester of their sophomore year (At least 45 credit hours complete at the time of application)
- Have at least a 2.75 grade point average
- Provide proof of legal right to work in the United States.
- Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
A completed application packet must include all of the following:
- Online Application at dcwater.com/careers (Search for Summer Intern)
- Resume (attached to your online application)
- Unofficial transcript (attached to your online application)
- Letter of recommendation
- Typed Essay (see below)
- Attach a typed essay to the online application. The essay should not exceed two pages answering the following questions:
- Why are you interested in interning at DC Water?
- How would an internship at DC Water support your future aspirations?
- What knowledge, skills and talents do you believe you can contribute to DC Water if selected for an internship?
- An official letter of recommendation--(Letters can come from your academic advisor, a professor, or program dean. Letters can be mailed in a sealed envelope on letterhead with the recommender's signature or a scanned copy directly emailed from the recommender to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Student's official college transcript-- (Upon acceptance of offer, you must have your official transcript mailed in a sealed envelope from your college or university no later than two weeks from accepting the offer.)
Special note: All documents listed above are required in order to be considered for an internship opportunity.
Completed Application Packages are due no later than March 2, 2018
Please submit mailed documents to:
Human Capital Management Department
RE: Internship Program
5000 Overlook Avenue SW, Suite 308
Washington, DC 20032-5397
For additional information contact:
Phone: (202) 787-2220
Fax: (202) 787-2455