DC Water employs about 1,000 skilled workers who work at many sewer and water system locations throughout the District of Columbia, seven days a week. We make every effort to restore any disturbed areas and reimburse customers who have experienced loss or damage as a result of work performed by DC Water.
If you believe your injury, vehicle or personal property damage was a result of an accident or work performed by DC Water, we require specific details on your Claim Form relating to your loss event including:
- Your full name, address, day and evening phone numbers;
- Exact incident location/address (be as specific as possible);
- Time and date of incident;
- The cause of the damage or injury or circumstances under which the damage or injury was sustained (explain, in detail, why DC Water should be liable for the damage or injury); and
- Any other pertinent information that will assist us with investigating your claim.
Be sure to complete in the entire form and include any information that will assist us with investigating your claim, such as a police report number, if applicable. Please prepare to submit repair receipt(s); plumber's statement/receipt, if applicable; photos of your damage; medical bills and/or medical reports, if applicable to be sent directly to your insurance company claims contact. Please also ensure you have taken the necessary steps to protect and limit further damage to your property, including cleaning, water and debris removal.
If you have questions or concerns regarding repairs or restoration following recent construction work near your property and in public space, please call (202) 612-3400.
Below are other ways you may contact us:
District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority
Office of Risk Management
1385 Canal Street SE
Washington, DC 20003
If you need additional assistance or would like to speak with someone in the Risk Management Office, call 202-787-2050 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
What to Expect
The Risk Management Office will attempt to resolve your claim as quickly as possible. However, we may need more time to fully investigate your claim before the insurance company can make a decision.
Here is what you can expect after you submit your claim:
- The Risk Management office will investigate your matter internally;
- If Risk Management has sufficient information/documentation, you will receive a letter advising your claim was referred to DC Water's insurance administrator with the claim number assigned;
- If more information is required to assist us with the investigation, we will send you a letter requesting the additional information;
- The claim will be assigned to an insurance adjuster for continued handling;
- The adjuster will complete the investigation and submit a claims recommendation to DC Water indicating the claim should be accepted or rejected; and
- You will be notified by the adjuster of the final claims decision. This may include but not be limited to settlement, payment for loss/damage or denial.