Start or Stop Service

If you are a property owner in the District of Columbia and you need to start or stop water service to your property, you may contact us in one of the ways listed below.

When you contact us, please provide:

  • Your daytime phone number, including the area code
  • The address where you wish to start or stop service
  • Your DC Water account number, if you have one
  • Instructions to start or stop service
  • A copy of your settlement statement if you are starting service

For rented properties: Please note that tenants are unable to transfer service to another property — these requests must be made by the property owner. Property owners may add tenants' names to a DC Water account as a third party so both the property owners and their tenants can receive bills in their names.

By Email:

Email the information listed above to

By Fax:

Fax the information listed above to our Customer Service Department at 202-354-3711.

By Mail:

Mail the information listed above to:
District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority
Customer Service Department
P.O. Box 97200
Washington, DC 20090

By Phone:

Call us at 202-354-3600 and be prepared to provide the information listed above. Our customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (except major holidays) to assist you.

Please note that we do not accept service requests by phone when a property is changing hands. We only accept third-party requests via telephone from the property owner.

Non-English-speaking customers can call our Customer Service line, 202-354-3600, for translation into more than 94 languages.
Hearing-impaired customers can call 202-354-3677 for TDD-TYY services.