2019 Poster & Poetry Contest
In celebration of Drinking Water Week 2019, DC Water is sponsoring a poster and poetry contest for K-12 public school students in Washington, DC.
It is important that students not only know the source of their water but also that they are empowered to protect their waterways. Through this contest, students are encouraged to explore where their water comes from in the District and to ponder on creative ways to ensure the health of our watersheds for themselves and generations to come.
Entries will be judged on originality, creativity, and reflection of the theme.
Posters and Poetry should reflect the theme of the contest, "Protect the Source."
Open to all K-12 students at all schools within the District of Columbia. Students who attend public, private, charter and home school are invited and encouraged to participate.
The POSTER contest is open to all students in grades K-6.
The POETRY contest is open to all students in grades 7-12.
Winners will be presented their framed work, a monetary prize and be featured on our website. Announcement of winners to occur on Friday, June 14, 2019. Awards will be presented to students by Wendy the Water Drop during the school day, with administrative and parental permission.
POSTER 1st Place - $100, 2nd Place - $50, 3rd Place - $50
POETRY 1st Place - $100, 2nd Place - $50, 3rd Place - $50
Honorable mentions may be selected in each category.
- All entries must reflect the theme of the contest.
- Entries must be received electronically or postmarked by Wednesday, June 5, 2019.
- One original entry per student. Any plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
- All entries must be labeled on the back with the student’s full name, grade, school, and teacher’s name.
- All entries must be accompanied by a completed entry form.
- POSTERS must be no larger than 11x17 inches in landscape or portrait format.
- Students may use any colors or media (crayon, marker, pencil, paint, digital, etc.) to create their poster.
- POETRY must be submitted on one standard 8.5x11 inch letter size paper.
- Any style of poetry is acceptable!
- Entries may be handwritten or typed and submitted via email or postal mail.
For more information
Education Outreach Coordinator