Raze Permit

What does it mean? When an applicant intends to raze a building, a Raze Permit must be obtained from DCRA. As part of the approval process for this permit, DC Water reviews the plans to determine whether there is water or sewer infrastructure that may be impacted by the raze. DC Water requires any water or sewer service laterals affected to be abandoned at the public main (not the property boundary).
Does this apply to me? If you wish to raze a structure that has water and sewer service laterals servicing your property you will need approval from DC Water identifying the disconnect of those services from the public mains to obtain your Raze Permit from DCRA.
When do I apply? It is advisable that the applicant commence the application process at least 90 days prior to the desired raze date. The applicant should consult DCRA for a more accurate time needed to process a Raze Permit.
What do I need to submit?
  1. A site plan signed and sealed by a professional engineer, architect, landscape architect and/or registered plumber in the District of Columbia showing the following minimum information:
    1. Entire property and building to be razed
    2. Existing water and sewer service laterals (pipes from the building to the public main in the street) and existing water and sewer mains in the public right-of-way
      1. DC Water staff can assist the applicant in researching the property and identify the location, size and material of the existing water service lateral
      2. Typically, DC Water staff will not have information (size, material, location) with regards to the existing storm and sanitary laterals. This will need to be determined by the applicant
    3. How and where the existing utilities will be abandoned
    4. DC Water general construction notes
  2. A Utility Clearance letter as provided by DCRA
  3. A zero balance receipt from DC Water showing no outstanding bills.
  4. A check in the amount of the invoice provided to the applicant by DC Water staff once the review is completed. This invoice will include disconnect fees of the utilities from the public main
Where do I go and apply? Submitting your plans to:

DC Water Permit Operations Department
1100 4th St. SW Suite 310
Washington, DC 20024

How long will it take? DC Water schedules 14 days for the processing of a Raze Permit. In most cases permit applications only require one submission. However, if the minimum information is missing then the reviewer will provide comments to the applicant requesting the plans to be revised and resubmitted.
What do I Receive? You will receive the following information:
  1. A Certificate of Approval from DC Water for the Raze Permit Application
  2. Plans stamped APPROVED
  3. A sign off on the Raze Clearance Letter

Once you receive these approval documents from DC Water you must provide it to DCRA to get your final Raze Permit.

What are DC Water's fees for this?

For additional information on fees charged by DC Water please see fee schedule.

Raze Permit review fee: $150

Abandonment fee of a large water service connection: $610 each

Abandonment fee of a small water service connection: $310 each

Abandonment fee for any size sewer lateral: $325 each

All outstanding water and sewer bills must be paid in full before DC Water will sign-off on the Raze Permit.

DC Water will accept checks (made payable to DC Water), credit cards (Visa,Mastercard, Discover) or money orders.

Related Activities: If a water service or sewer lateral is being abandoned at a main that is in public space, a Public Space Permit is required.
For more Info, call: Permit Operations Department at 202-646-8600.
Additional Information: The owner is responsible for all work and costs associated with excavation and restoration of public space to perform a water/sewer abandonment. Once the owner has obtained a Public Space Permit he/she must then contact DC Water prior to performing the excavation to install/inspect the utility work. The owner shall be held responsible for all damages to existing structures and/for utilities caused by construction activity.