Watts Branch Sewer Rehabilitation Project
As part of its Capital Improvement Program, DC Water is performing sewer rehabilitation projects throughout the city. This project involves the rehabilitation of sewer infrastructure located in Watts Branch between Eastern Avenue, NE and Minnesota Avenue, NE. The project traverses through the Mahaning Heights, Hillbrook, Capitol View and East Corner Neighborhoods. Benefits of this project include the rehabilitation of an aging sewer system, improving structural integrity while maintaining adequate hydraulic capacity, and reducing stream and groundwater infiltration and sanitary sewer overflows.
Scope of work
- Project will include rehabilitation of approximately 8,700 linear feet of 8” to 27” diameter sewer pipes
- Rehabilitation of 56 sewer manholes
- Construction start: November 2017
- Construction completion: June 2018
- Normal Work Hours: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday
- Contractor may work at night or weekends, depending on needed construction activities or inclement weather
- There will an 18" HDPE (black) pipe on the ground along Watts Branch for the duration of the project. This will be used to bypass the sewer system during repair. Pumps will run 24/7 during bypass operations only with continuous monitoring by an operator.
- Noise and vibrations will be closely monitored throughout the project.
- If a planned temporary water service shut-off is necessary, affected residents will be notified 48 hours in advance. Service interruptions will be minimal.
- Construction may cause temporary discolored water or low water pressure. If you experience discolored water, flush cold water taps for 15 minutes. If water does not clear, contact the DC Water Drinking Water Division or 24-Hour Command Center.
- Traffic control, including signage and protective barriers, will be set up to maintain public safety.
- Lane closures may be required daily and will be done in accordance with traffic plans approved by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).