Water Main Replacement and Upgrade Project - Tuckerman Street, NW
As part of its Capital Improvement Program, DC Water will be performing replacement and upgrade of existing water mains and fire hydrants. These efforts will help improve water quality and system reliability, increase water pressure in some areas, and maintain adequate flows throughout the system. Work will only occur on the 1600 Block of Tuckerman Street, NW.
Scope of work
This project involves the replacement and upgrade of approximately 360 linear feet of the existing 4-inch water main and the installation of approximately 336 linear feet of a new 8-inch water main and 8 linear feet of new 4-inch water main in the project area. Additionally, this project involves the replacement of a fire hydrant within the project limits. The project will likely be performed in the following phases:
- Phase I – Complete replacement and upgrade of approximately 220 linear feet of water main from the intersection of 16th Street, NW along Tuckerman Street, NW.
- Phase II – Complete replacement and upgrade of approximately 130 linear feet of water main along Tuckerman Street, NW which will connect to existing 4-inch water main at the dead end on Tuckerman Street, NW just before the start of the National Park Service property (Rock Creek Golf Course).
- Construction start: July 2017
- Construction completion: October 2017
- Normal work hours: 7 AM to 7 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Crews may work outside of normal hours, dependent upon certain construction activities or inclement weather.
- The removal and pruning of public space trees may be necessary and will be minimized wherever possible.
- During this construction project, there will be installation of temporary bypass piping for the affected homes in the area. Specifically, as portions of water mains are systematically taken out of service, homes served by these mains will be temporarily connected to an above ground pipe in order to maintain water services throughout the work.
- If a temporary water service shut-off is necessary at any point during the project, affected residents will be notified 48 hours in advance. All scheduled service interruptions will be
- Water quality sampling will take place during each phase of temporary water service piping use. Construction may cause temporary discolored water or low water pressure. If you experience discolored water, flush cold water taps for 15 minutes. If water does not clear, contact the DC Water Drinking Water Division or 24-hr Emergency/Command Center.
- Flagging operations will be used daily for each construction phase to maintain traffic in the construction work zone. All Traffic Control Plans will be approved by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- At various times during construction, “No Parking” signs may be placed in certain areas in and around the work zone. Notifications regarding “No Parking” zones will be posted 72 hours prior to construction, as required by DDOT.
DC Water is working closely with DDOT to ensure minimal traffic disruptions during construction. Regular updates will also be provided to the affected Advisory Neighborhood Commissions.