Water Main Replacement – 17th Street NE/SE
DC Water will replace the existing 20 inch water main located on 17th Street as part of its Capital Improvement Program. This water main acts in a dual capacity of alleviating low flow and pressure in the community near Kenilworth Avenue, NE, while serving as a redundant water main for the Robert F. Kennedy Stadium area, in case of emergency or water outages. In addition, DC Water will perform replacement of the deteriorating 8 inch water main that helps to deliver safe drinking water to the community. These efforts will improve water quality and system reliability, increase water pressure in some areas, and maintain adequate flows throughout the system. Construction for this project will occur on 17th Street between C Street, NE and Potomac Avenue, SE; a portion of work will take place on Potomac Avenue between 17th Street, SE and Kentucky Avenue, SE, including a small segment of 16th Street, SE at G Street, SE.
Scope of Work
- Installation of approximately 4,800 linear feet of 20-inch water mains
- Installation of approximately 4,800 linear feet of 8-inch water mains
- Replacement of service lines (lead and/or other) in public space, as needed
- Replacement of fire hydrants and valves
- Estimated construction start: March 2015
- Estimated construction completion: March 2017
- Normal work hours: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday
- Contractor may work at night or on weekends, dependent upon additional construction activities or due to inclement weather
- If a planned temporary water service shut-off is necessary, affected residents will be notified 48 hours in advance. Service interruptions will be minimal.
- Construction may cause temporary discolored water or low water pressure. If you experience discolored water, flush cold water taps for 15 minutes. If water does not clear, contact the DC Water Drinking Water Division or 24-Hour Command Center.
- Lane closures may be required daily with approved traffic plans by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- At various times during construction, “No-Parking” signs may need to be placed in certain areas in and around the job site. Notifications regarding “No-Parking” zones will be posted 72 hours prior to construction, as required by DDOT.
DC Water is currently working closely with DDOT to ensure minimal disruption during this project. Regular updates will also be provided to the affected Advisory Neighborhood Commissions