Small Local Sewer Rehabilitation Project - Foggy Bottom Area
DC Water has determined that there is a need to perform preventative maintenance procedures to sewer mains located within the Foggy Bottom area of the District. These procedures will require the inspection and cleaning of sewer mains in order to determine whether further maintenance or repairs are needed.
The approach involves a Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) truck lowering its camera into the sewer mains through manholes in the street, some sidewalks and parking lot entrances. The camera will travel downstream with the flow inside the pipes and will video record the condition of each main. If debris is located inside the sewer main, a vacuum-truck will be used for its removal. Finally, pipes will be lined using cured in place pipe (CIPP).
Scope of Work
This project location involves pipeline and manhole repair and rehabilitation including the cleaning, open trench repairs and lining of approximately 1,680 linear feet of sewer mains, 14 lateral pipe connections and 25 manholes.
- Estimated construction start: March 2018 / Estimated construction completion: May 2018
- Normal work hours: 7:00am – 7:00pm, Monday through Saturday
- Normal work hours listed above are for the following streets: New Hampshire Avenue NW, 25th Street NW, 24th Street NW; 22nd Street 21st Street NW; 19th Street NW; 18th Street NW; 17th Street NW; I Street NW; and L Street NW.
- Due to high vehicular traffic and other needed construction activities, work on K Street NW will be performed during night time hours.
- Some noise from equipment and crews on site can be expected; during sewer cleaning, lining and inspection operations, however, you may experience excessive noise for abbreviated periods.
- You may smell an odor while the lining process is taking place. These fumes are not harmful to humans or animals and will dissipate quickly after the lining process is completed, normally within 2-4 hours.
- DC Water will work to maintain public safety throughout the project and will restore all work areas to their original condition following completion of the project.
- Temporary water service shutoffs are necessary and affected residents will be notified 24 hours in advance. All scheduled service interruptions will be minimal.
- During this construction project, bypass piping may be installed from manhole to manhole to divert sewer flow. This bypass piping will be properly secured and will be removed after each pipe segment is repaired which typically requires approximately 24 hours.
- When needed, a 24-hour notification will be hand delivered to each resident as a reminder to refrain from using any appliances that require water and to limit showers/baths.
- Lane closures may be required daily (7:00am-7:00pm), and traffic plans will be approved by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- At various times during construction, “No Parking” signs may need to be placed in certain areas in and around the work zone. Notifications regarding “No Parking” zones will be posted 72 hours prior to construction, as required by DDOT.
DC Water is working closely with DDOT to ensure minimal traffic disruptions during construction. Regular updates will also be provided to affected Advisory Neighborhood Commissions.