SMALL DIAMETER WATER MAIN REPLACEMENT PROJECT Dexter Terrace SE – ANC 8A
As part of its Capital Improvement Program, DC Water is replacing existing 12-inch and smaller cast iron water mains in various locations throughout the city. Construction for this project will occur in the 1300 block of Dexter Terrace, SE (see construction location map on back). These efforts will help improve water quality and system reliability, increase water pressure in some areas, and maintain adequate flows throughout the system.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Installation of approximately 433 linear feet of 8-inch water mains
- Replacement of service lines (lead and/or other), as needed
- Replacement of fire hydrants and valves
- Restoration of all surfaces disturbed by the project construction upon completion of the work
- Construction start: October 2020
- Construction completion: January 2021
- Normal work hours: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday
The contractor may work at night or on weekends during each phase, dependent upon additional construction activities or due to inclement weather.
- If a planned temporary water service shut-off is necessary, affected residents will be notified 48 hours in advance. Service interruptions will be minimal.
- Construction may cause temporary discolored water or low water pressure. If you experience discolored water, flush cold water taps for 15 minutes. If water does not clear, contact the DC Water Drinking Water Division or 24-hr Emergency/Command Center.
- Lane closures may be required daily with approved traffic plans by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- Notifications regarding “No-Parking” zones will be posted 72 hours prior to construction, in certain areas in and around the job site as required by DDOT.
DC Water is currently working closely with DDOT to ensure minimal disruption during this project. Regular updates will also be provided to the affected Advisory Neighborhood Commissions.