Rock Creek Church and Webster Large Valve Replacement Project
DC Water is replacing large diameter valves at various locations throughout the city as part of its Capital Improvement Program to improve the water system infrastructure. These efforts will improve water quality and system reliability, increase water pressure in some areas, and maintain adequate flows throughout the system. The project location is at the intersection of Rock Creek Road NW and Webster Street, NW.
Scope of work
- Installation of approximately 300 linear feet of a 12-inch water main
- Installation of a 10-inch pressure reducing valve
- Installation of a 6 inch air vacuum valve
- Construction start: May 2016
- Construction completion: December 2017
- Normal work hours: 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Contractor may work at night or on weekends, dependent upon needed tie-in work or inclement weather
- If a planned temporary water service shut-off is necessary, affected residents will be notified 48 hours in advance.
- Unless otherwise requested or required, contractor shall not work between the rush hours of 7:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, along major thoroughfares and collector streets.
- Construction may cause temporary discolored water or low water pressure. If you experience discolored water, flush cold water taps for 15 minutes. If water does not clear, contact the DC Water Drinking Water Division or 24-hr Emergency/Command Center.
- Lane closures may be required daily with approved traffic plans by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- At various times during construction, “no-parking” signs may need to be placed in certain areas in and around the job site. Notifications regarding “no-parking” zones will be posted 72 hours prior to construction, as required by DDOT.
DC Water is currently working closely with DDOT to ensure minimal disruption during this project. Regular updates will be provided to affected Advisory Neighborhood Commissions.