Oregon Avenue and Bingham Drive, NW Sewer Rehabilitation Project
- The project is 90% complete
- All new sewer lines have been installed and activated
- All abandonment of old sewer lines and manholes has been completed
- Oregon Avenue has been temporarily paved and opened to the public for use (the pavement is not permanent due to pending DDOT project)
- Bingham Drive remains closed until Fall 2019 when the road will be restored
DC Water is performing sewer rehabilitation projects throughout the city as part of its Capital Improvement Program. This project involves the rehabilitation of sewers on Oregon Avenue, NW from Beech Street, NW to Bingham Drive, NW and on Bingham Drive, NW from Nebraska Avenue, NW to Beach Drive, NW. DC Water is responsible for four sanitary sewer interceptors that cross the western half of Rock Creek Park owned by the National Park Service (NPS).
- The sewers along Oregon Avenue, NW drain into one of four sewers that cross the western half of Rock Creek Park, conveying flow from Oregon Avenue, NW to the Rock Creek Main Interceptor (RCMI).
- Three of these park crossings are in natural stream channels and are subject to erosion; two of those crossings are severely exposed and require abandonment.
- The fourth sewer is within the paved area of Bingham, Drive NW.
The objective of this project is to design and build a replacement sewer interceptor through the park to allow the abandonment the deteriorated interceptor. To better facilitate future maintenance and access the NPS allowed the sewer to remain through the only paved roadway in the area – Bingham Drive, NW. Benefits of this project include the rehabilitation of an aging sewer system, improving structural integrity while maintaining adequate hydraulic capacity, and reducing stream and groundwater infiltration and sanitary sewer overflows.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Construction of approximately 2,100 feet of new trunk sewer along Oregon Avenue, NW to redirect the flows to Bingham Drive, NW and abandoning the three park crossing sewers in or adjacent to streams.
- Construction of approximately 2,300 feet of new trunk sewer along Bingham Drive, NW to convey the flows from Oregon Avenue, NW to the RCMI.
- Replacing the old Creekbed sewer interceptor.
- Construction of new sewer manholes along Oregon Avenue, NW and Bingham Drive, NW.
- Construction start: December 2016
- Construction completion: November 2018