Northeast Boundary Sewer Main Inspection Phase II
DC Water has determined an urgent need to inspect and assess the condition of the Northeast Boundary (NEB) sewer main. There has been a recent failure of a segment of the sewer in the vicinity of D Street NE, which identified the presence of additional areas of concern. Currently, the NEB serves as a combined sewer and will continue to serve the District’s collection system far into the future. This is an important asset that will operate in conjunction with DC Water’s DC Clean Rivers Project - Northeast Boundary Tunnel, which is currently under design. In preparation for this project, field investigations and evaluations are being conducted to assess the condition of the sewer. The project will include entering selected manholes in the streets, installing a transportable platform and safety equipment within the main, use of divers and high definition cameras accessing the sewer main to evaluate its current condition, and performance of special testing and gathering of results and reports.
SCOPE OF WORK
This project involves the internal investigation of approximately 26,000 linear feet of unreinforced brick sewer main.
- Estimated inspection start: December 2016
- Estimated inspection completion: March 2017 - Completed
- Normal work hours: 7:00pm - 5:00am, Sunday through Thursday
- To ensure public safety and minimal disruption, the work will be done during night time hours when there is low flow in the sewer.
- Contractor may work on Fridays and weekends if additional construction activities are needed, or due to inclement weather
- Traffic control, signage, security fencing and flagmen will be set up to maintain public safety during the inspection process, as needed.
- During sewer inspection and maintenance procedures, small trucks and a low level noise electrical generator will be used. DC Water will make every effort to minimize noise and other disruption to residents in the project area.
- DC Water will restore all work sites to their original condition.
- Lane closures may be required daily (7:00pm-5:00am) and traffic plans will be approved by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- At various times during construction, “No-Parking” signs may need to be placed in certain areas in and around the job site. Notifications regarding “No-Parking” zones will be posted 72 hours prior to construction, as required by DDOT.