Low Service Water Main Inspection and Repair Project
As part of its Capital Improvement Program, DC Water will be performing water main inspection and repair projects throughout the city to prolong the service life of the water transmission system. This project involves the inspection, minor repair, protection and restoration of the Low Service Water Main along 8th Street, NE which extends from N Street, NE on 3rd Street NE, to 8th Street, NE and East Capitol Street, NE.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Detailed design of the entry inspection and minor repairs of approximately 8,000 linear feet of 66 inch steel water main
- Utilization of the cathodic protection method to restore the water main
- Construction Start: September 2018
- Construction Completion: June 2019 (tentative)
- Normal Work Hours: 10 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday; dependent upon permit approval contractors may work during the evening or on weekends due to certain rehabilitation activities, or inclement weather delays.
- DC Water will work to ensure disruptions are minimized during construction operations and will restore all work sites to their original condition.
- The design and inspection technology is being determined to incorporate the least amount of impacts to the surface operations.
- Some water services may be temporarily interrupted during the operation of valves for shut down areas; 48 hour advanced notice will be provided.
- Traffic control, including signage and protective barriers, will be set up to maintain public safety during construction during construction.
- Lane closures may be required with approved traffic plans by the District Department of Transportation.
DC Water will coordinate with the various Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, Business Improvement Districts, stakeholders, residents, and with District and federal agencies to minimize disruption during this project.