Local Sewer Rehabilitation Project - Congress Heights Area
DC Water has determined that there is a need to perform preventative maintenance procedures to sewer mains located within the Congress Heights area of the District. These procedures will require the inspection and cleaning of sewer mains in order to determine whether further maintenance or repairs are needed.
The approach involves a Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) truck lowering its camera into the sewer mains through manholes in the street, some sidewalks and parking lot entrances. The camera will travel downstream with the flow inside the pipes and will video record the condition of each main. If debris is located inside the sewer main, a vacuum-truck will be used for its removal. Finally, pipes will be lined using cured-in-place pipe (CIPP).
Scope of work
This project location involves the cleaning and lining of approximately 850 linear feet of sewer mains. Additional activities will include rehabilitation of approximately 1 manhole and installation of 30 cured-in-place lateral connections.
- Estimated construction start: January 2016 / Estimated construction completion: January 2018
- Normal work hours: 7:00am – 3:30pm, Monday through Friday
- Due to high vehicular traffic and other needed construction activities, some work may be performed during night time hours
- Some noise from equipment and crews on site can be expected; during sewer cleaning, lining and inspection operations, however, you may experience excessive noise for abbreviated periods.
- You may smell an odor while the lining process is taking place. These fumes are not harmful to humans or animals and will dissipate quickly after the lining process is completed, normally within 2-4 hours.
- DC Water will work to maintain public safety throughout the project, and will restore all work areas to their original condition following completion of the project.
- Temporary water service shutoffs are necessary and affected residents will be notified 24 hours in advance. All scheduled service interruptions will be minimal.
- During this construction project, bypass piping will be installed from manhole to manhole to divert sewer flow. This bypass piping will be properly secured and will be removed at the end of each day.
- When needed, a 24 hour notification will be hand delivered to each resident as a reminder to refrain from using any appliances that require water and to limit showers/baths.
- Lane closures may be required daily (7:00am – 7:00pm), and traffic plans will be approved by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- At various times during construction, “No Parking” signs may need to be placed in certain areas in and around the work zone. Notifications regarding “No Parking” zones will be posted 72 hours prior to construction, as required by DDOT.
DC Water is working closely with DDOT to ensure minimal traffic disruptions during construction. Regular updates will also be provided to impacted Advisory Neighborhood Commissions.