B Street/New Jersey Avenue Trunk Sewer Rehabilitation and Cleaning Project
As part of its Capital Improvement Program, DC Water will be performing sewer rehabilitation projects throughout the city. This project involves the cleaning and rehabilitation of the arched portion of the B Street/New Jersey Avenue Trunk Sewer. The sewer is a 10 foot wide, arched, brick and concrete tunnel that extends from 14th Street, NW on Constitution Avenue, NW to 1st Street, SE and Tingey Street, SE.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Rehabilitation of 4,350 linear feet of sewer with a geopolymer liner that will prolong the life of the infrastructure.
- Repair and installation of lining for 15 manholes along the sewer route.
- Construction start: September 2018
- Construction completion: September 2020
- Normal work hours: 7:30 pm to 5:30 am; contractor may work at night or weekends, depending on needed construction activities or inclement weather
- DC Water will work to ensure disruptions are minimized during construction operations and will restore all work sites to their original condition.
- The design and rehabilitation technology is being determined to incorporate the least amount of impacts to the surface operations and remove the need for excavation.
- Some sewage odor may be temporarily noticed during the construction operation.
- Traffic control, including signage and protective barriers, will be set up to maintain public safety during construction in accordance with District Department of Transportation Permit and Standards.
- Temporary lane closures will occur and parking may be impacted by equipment during the rehabilitation activities.
DC Water will coordinate with the various Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, Business Improvement Districts, stakeholders, residents, and with District and federal agencies to minimize disruption during this project.