Automated Hydrant Flushing Devices
DC Water has installed about a dozen automated flushing devices (autoflushers) on hydrants throughout the District.
When water sits in aging pipes, natural corrosion can cause discoloration. We see this most often in neighborhoods with older water mains and low water use. DC Water crews routinely flush hydrants in these neighborhoods to improve water quality. Hydrant flushing replaces stationary water with fresh water from the distribution system.
Since 2011, DC Water has installed autoflushers in neighborhoods that continued to experience water quality issues despite routine manual flushing by crews.
From March to November, these autoflushers will flush hydrants each day, for 45 minutes beginning at 9:00 A.M. DC Water will continue to monitor water quality and may modify the flushing schedule, accordingly.
During flushing, the hydrant will be fully opened at a flow rate of 150 gallons per minute. Customers do not pay for this water, and can continue normal water use.
Scope of work
- Installation of 13 automated flushing devices on fire hydrants
- Installation: March 2019
- Removal: November 2019
- Flushing schedule: daily, 9:00 A.M. - 9:45 A.M. (Suitland Terrace: 3:00 A.M. - 3:45 A.M.)
- Customer water supplies will not be shut off during installation or hydrant flushing.
- Customer water bills will not be affected by hydrant flushing.
- During this time, customers can continue normal water usage, including drinking, bathing and laundry.
- Report any discolored water to the Drinking Water Division.
- As always, do not park in front of a hydrant, or within 10 feet in either direction from the centerline of the hydrant.
Information has been provided to the relevant Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, Council Offices, and the Office of the Mayor.
Neighborhoods in Northeast, Northwest, and Southeast:
- RANDOLPH ST BET 26TH ST AND EASTERN AVE NE
- 50TH ST INT HAYES ST NE
- 48TH PL INT SHERIFF RD NE
- QUARLES ST INT ANACOSTIA AVE NE
- 4973 HILLBROOK LN NW
- TAMARACK ST INT EAST BEACH DR NW
- LUCUST RD INT 14TH ST NW
- 31ST ST INT WESTERN AVE NW
- EASTERN AVE BET NASH ST AND MEADE ST NE
- EASTERN AVE INT HUNT PL NE
- HAMILTON ST INT 13TH ST NW
- 2117 SUITLAND TER SE
- 5266 LOUGHBORO RD NW