What We Do
Potomac Interceptor Odor Abatement
The Potomac Interceptor is a 50-mile-long gravity sewer system that transports wastewater to the Blue Plains Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant (more information in the "Who We are" section of this site) located in Washington, DC The Potomac Interceptor is owned and operated by DC Water though several suburban jurisdictions add their wastewater to the system.
This sewer has a number of vents along the way to Blue Plains to allow sewage to flow naturally. However, they can become the source of odor; especially in warmer temperatures. DC Water began design and planning for a program to abate these odors in 1999.
The objectives of the long-term odor remedy program are:
- To provide long-term control of odors from the Potomac Interceptor using practical and reliable state of the art technology.
- To reduce hydrogen sulfide gases in the Potomac Interceptor that cause the corrosion of the concrete sewer pipe.
Download a current Newsletter about the Potomac Interceptor project (PDF 214 kb) .
More detailed information on the Potomac Interceptor is available in the "Wastewater Treatment" section of this site.
Potomac Interceptor DocumentsPotomac Interceptor Easment
Municipalities served by the Potomac Interceptor
- Loudoun County (VA)
- Fairfax County (VA)
- Washington Dulles International Airport
- Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC)
The Potomac Interceptor conveys wastewater from Dulles International Airport in Chantilly, VA along the Potomac River to the DC border. At the DC/Montgomery County, MD border, the Potomac Interceptor becomes the Upper Potomac Interceptor Relief Sewer, and continues to the Potomac Pumping Station in Washington, DC
|Sites Advertisements||Jul. 2009|
|Construction Contract Awarded||Dec. 2009|
|Construction Completion||April 2013|
|Sites Advertisements||Jul. 2010|
|Construction Contract Awarded||Dec. 2010|
|Construction Completion||Spring 2014|
Individual Site Project Information Sheets
Individual Potomac Interceptor sites are presented in the PDF documents below. Each contains project information and photographs.
- Potomac Interceptor-Bethesda (PDF 106 kb) (Construction Completed)
- Potomac Interceptor-Cabin John (PDF 131 kb) (Construction Completed)
- Potomac Interceptor-Potomac (PDF 90 kb) (Construction Completed)
- Potomac Interceptor-DC (PDF 74 kb) (Construction Completed)
- Potomac Interceptor-Algonkian Regional Park (PDF 458 kb)
- Potomac Interceptor-Great Falls (PDF 445 kb)
- Potomac Interceptor Repairs-Fairfax County (PDF 572 kb)
- Potomac Interceptor Repairs-Loudoun County (PDF 604 kb)